Wednesday, April 1, 2009

20 Days and Counting

31 days from now I will be married. Yikes. So much to do, plan, buy, and avoid. These past 6 weeks have been a complete blurr. A lot has happened, both good and bad, and I'm sure the next month will reveal even more.

But this isn't about me...or is it? Well, it is. Because I am her own worst enemy. She thinks she can only work with me. I can't work with her right now. Little things, yes. But big-push yer button stuff...not a chance. I will not risk going to Las Vegas in a body cast, which will most likely be the case if I press on in this half-arsed fashion.

Yea, I don't believe I can teach her much at 1-2 times per week. It's like asking an illiterate kid to go to school on the weekends and grasp learning how to read. Sure, the kid may get it after a couple years of attempting to learn only 2 days a week, but it could be done much faster, and better. And so it is with horses.

In the midst of planning mehndi night, rehersal dinner, and dress shopping, I've also been trainer hunting. And I think, as of yesterday, I found one. A really good one. One I like. One I can afford. The stars have aligned.

So, in 2.5 weeks Cassie shall be going into dressage training for a couple months. My goals for her: more solid foundation at w/t/c. Rhythm. Balance. Accepting the bit, the beginnings of contact.

That's all for my goals for the horse. She'll be in full show-training. So she'll get better at clipping, bathing, wrapping, etc. All the skillz the pony-kids need under their belts to keep 'em in good graces with people.

I'm excited for her. Its better than sitting in a stall and pasture for the next 2 months while I sort out my life happenings. Last year I put her on the back burner after backing her. And I regret doing that. I had a great experience that summer, and some horses got really good experience. But mine did not. And seeing as they consume the majority of my income, this year I am putting my focus on what is my responsibility.

I am excited for me too. I know I am doing the right thing for her, and for me. While I do my thing, she'll be doing hers, and when I get back, we'll learn together. Lessons. Oh thank goodness. The wheels are off my bus and they need be put back on. I will kiss the ground the trainer walks on if she can help me fix my wandering left leg. I wish I could say I aspire to be the strong rider I once was- but I know that is ridiculous. Baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment